Conical effigy mound at Sheboygan Indian Mound Park. Source.

Lesson Plans and Resources

Website, Grades PK-12

Sheboygan Indian Mound County Park preserves what was first known as the Kletzien Mound Group. The group originally consisted of thirty-three conical and effigy mounds, primarily deer and panthers, as well as one panther or water spirit intaglio.

A number of mounds were excavated in 1926 by the Milwaukee Public Museum. Local garden clubs saved the mound group from development in the late 1950s by raising money to purchase the site. The land was subsequently donated to the city for an archaeological park, and sixteen of the eighteen existing mounds were restored under the supervision of the Milwaukee Public Museum. The Town and County Garden Club developed a nature trail with signage.

The park is open April 1-November 1.